Skip to content

On our way

July 4, 2011

For the past several months, we have been preparing for a move to Belfast, Northern Ireland.  Now it is hard for us to believe that the day is here – we leave in a few hours!

The past couple of months have been a time filled with mixed emotions for our family.  Excitement for our upcoming journey, sadness and grief as we part with friends and family here in Orlando, anxiety over the many details and logistics of our move, gratitude as we have felt the generosity of so many people in their parting words, cards, and gifts.  Thank you to all of our friends, at First United Methodist Church of Orlando and beyond, for your encouragement, prayers, and support during these last months.  Both of us have felt a strong sense of praise and thankfulness to God for the blessings we have known over these last six years.

We are going to use this blog as one way of sharing about our lives as we move to Belfast.  We also look forward to sharing about what is happening with the work and ministry of East Belfast Mission and the Skainos Project.  For now, we have included a few websites and a very brief introduction to the Skainos project.  We are new to ‘blogging’, but we hope this will be a way we can share reflections, pictures, and a window into what is happening in Belfast.

Of course, the blog is not the only way of being in touch.  Our new e-mails are:

Britt – britt.gilmore@gmail.com        Alison – allygilmoregirl@gmail.com

Feel free to write a note – we will try to respond as quickly as we can as we find our place in Belfast and get settled in.  In the meantime, we would appreciate your prayers for the following things as we transition:

• Safe travel
  • That we find the right place to live – we have appointments to look at some rental accomodation on Monday, and we hope to find a place quickly!  Until then, we are staying with Alison’s parents about 90 minutes drive from Belfast.
  • The transition for our daughters, Ellie and Emily, as they adjust to a new culture and will be getting ready for school.
  • That we will know God’s grace and joy as we start forming relationships with those we will work with at East Belfast Mission.

May you, friends, join us as we seek to respond faithfully to God, walking in faith, gratitude and trust:

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.  God alone is my rock and my salvation; God is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

Peace,

Britt and Alison

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. Wendy Lamoreaux permalink
    July 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Looking forward to meeting up with you here in Belfast! Prayers for safe travels!

2. July 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for taking us along with the blog. I can’t wait to see your posts.

It’s a little sad driving down Briercliff now.

3. Abby permalink
    July 14, 2011 2:59 pm

thinking of you today

4. Alex Shanks permalink
    July 14, 2011 3:18 pm

We are praying for your trip and for God to truly use you. Thank you for sharing this opportunity to pray for you. Blessings to you and your family!

5. Dottie Byers permalink
    July 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi, I met you on my recent trip to Orlando at St. Luke’s. I am from Maryland and had not yet my Belfast team members. It was a joy to meet you both and about your dedication to your mission there. I am truly looking forward to seeing you there when we arrive in September. Good luck with housing as that is always a concern for families. Many blessings with your work and your life there. And may the Lord grant traveling mercies to all of you.
    Peace, Dottie

6. Bill Barnes permalink
    July 14, 2011 5:57 pm

We at St. Luke’s are so very proud of you and grateful for your ministry with our extended family in faith in Northern Ireland. And we are glad that there are so many people who love you there who are so excited to be able to hug you home!

7. July 18, 2011 1:02 pm

We’re thinking of you. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

8. Edna Benson permalink
    July 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Ken and I are glad to know you have arrived safely in Belfast. You will all be in our thoughts and prayers for good housing, a good school enviornment, and many kind and caring friends. Also, our prayers will be with you for God’s blessings on your ministreis.
    With our love,
    Edna and Ken Benson

9. Barbara Drew permalink
    July 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank you for the beautiful time you shared with us at First Methodist and we all know that God is guiding you in this new era of your lives……our prayers are with you always….
    Barbara Drew and all the Drew family

10. Gary and Ruby permalink
    August 7, 2011 3:15 am

We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Gary and Ruby